Saturday, May 10, 2014

Fabric Patch Onesies: No Sewing Required

This was my favorite project when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter.  I was set on making some easy handmade baby clothes and this one fit the bill.  You don't have to use a onesie for this you can use any article of clothing, and the best part is no sewing required. Let's personalize it!

Supplies Needed:
- Onesie or Other Clothing
- Fat Quarter of any Cotton Fabric
- Heat and Bond Ultrahold Adhesive 
- Iron
- Scissors
- Printed or Hand Drawn Outline
- Paper

Time Required: 30 min.        

Design It:
Time to get creative.  I find that the best designs are outlines, like a tie, or a cat.  Print or draw your design on paper, make sure it is the correct size for your garment.  When your finished, cut close to the outside lines.  Set aside.

Iron your garment, the design will be easier to place on a flat surface.  

Prepare the Patch:
I get my fabric adhesive from my local craft store, not glue but the roll type in the sewing accessories isle.  Heat and Bond brand adhesive recommend to pre-wash (which I hardly ever do). 

1. Set Iron to medium heat, turn off the steam. 
2. Place pre-cut design onto the wrong side of the cotton fabric, adhesive side down (paper liner facing up).
3. Hold iron on paper surface in place for 2 seconds, move and repeat on untouched areas until bonded.
4. Place pre-cut outline onto bonded cotton fabric, trace around it with chalk. Then cut around the shape.

Iron it On:
Place your fabric design on top of garment adhesive side down.  Press and hold iron in place for 8 seconds, repeat on un-ironed areas of design until it is attached.  

You can now place more pieces, or different fabric, or even overlay fabrics.  Marvel at your new creation.  Instant baby shower gift, personalized baby clothes, or a cool wearable design for you. Next time, I will show how I make classy flower hair barrettes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment